17 September, 2009

FNU in the first or last name in US VISA

If you have FNU in your first or last name, it takes some effort to have the records set straight. 

Relax, it is not a big deal, but you still need to jump some hoops. 

My experience made me crazy for want of information, so I thought I would put it all together for others in the same boat. So, read along!

The following is a detailed version of how to get records changed in the US if you have FNU in your US VISA (in 3 easy steps)!

1) Change your name in your Indian Passport to separate your first name and last name. 

From:
Given Names: Adithya Vikram  
Surname:blank
To:
Given Names: Adithya
Surname: Vikram
  • Go to the website of the Indian Consulate (that covers your location) and fill out the Online form to get your name changed.
  • Find your US Consulate Page here: http://www.cgisf.org/contact/consulates.html 
  • Instructions about how to fill the form: http://www.cgisf.org/passport/onlineapplication.html
  • The above page has the following Online form link (https://passport.gov.in/nri/OnlineRegistration.jsp?pocode=USAS) (NOTE: This is for SFO only, check your area consulate website for your link)
  • The Online form will ask you for your details and how you want your name to appear in your new passport; Fill it and at the end you will get an auto-generated appointment date
  • You have the choice of either appearing before a Consular officer in person on the auto-generated appointment date or mailing your documents
  • Note: If you wish to mail your documents to (your area) Passport cell, then you have to notarize all the documents (except Passport, because you have to send the original) that you send them, including your photos pasted on the Application Form.
Documents I submitted (along with Photocopy of all):
  • Original Passport
  • Ad in US Newspaper
Format in which ad was published:

"Notice is hereby given that Adithya Vikram of is the same as First name: Adithya Last name: Vikram"

After publishing the ad, the newspaper guys sent me an affidavit with the Original clipping of the ad which is what I submitted.

(Please note that this format worked for me without having to submit a notarized Affidavit to the newspaper in the US, but the format can vary in your case. Please check your consulate website for it)
  • Ad in Indian Newspaper
Indian local newspaper required a notarized affidavit to publish my advertisement.

So, I downloaded this: http://www.cgisf.org/Forms/SPECIMEN%20AFFIDAVIT.pdf and notarized it (in USA) and sent it to my folks back in India by scanning and emailing it.


They got the ad published in a local English newspaper in the following format:

"I, Adithya Vikram, s\o of (father's name) residing at have changed my name from Adithya Vikram to First Name: Adithya, Last Name: Vikram before notary... "
  • Proof of status
        I94 satisfied this requirement for me
  • Proof of residence
          US Driver's License
  • 2 photographs (Standard clear Passport photos - No instant poloroids accepted)
  • Fees - $40 for processing and $20 to mail your old + new passport back to you. (You can go and collect them personally on the date mentioned on your acknowledgement)
Note: Your Visa on the old passport will still be valid, they just cancel the old passport and will return both, so you will be using both passports until all Visas in the old passport expire.


Once you get your passport,


2) Schedule an appointment with USCIS to update your records:

       https://infopass.uscis.gov/infopass.php

This is a simple step in that you just need to carry your Passports (old and new) to your local USCIS office and they will update their records and return your Passports at the same time (There was no form filling hassle here for me and it was over in about 45 minutes)

3) Go to your local SSA office after two weeks to get the records updated.

Find your local office here: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/FOLO/fo001.jsp


(I couldn't find an Online appointment link for this, so I went on a Friday at 3:40 hoping to see less people and finished this job in under 15 minutes, again, no filling forms here either!)

Finally, I got my updated SS Card in less than 10 days after my SSA office visit.

Please note that the sole purpose of this publication is to only share my personal experience about how I addressed the issue. You may use this information only at your own risk.


-Vikram

36 comments:

  1. Hi

    Thanks a lot for your insight on this issue. I will be going through this same process soon and your write up elped to clear a lot of things. I just had one question - Do i have to get my name change advertised in an indian and American newspaper first and then send all my documents to the embassy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    Can u help me on this issue .I have the same problem in my VISA. When I applied for SSN I got it in 10 days without any problem(Without FNU) .But when I went for DL They are creating problem they were saying like yr family name is FNU.but after verification from SSA they gave me lerner permit.but Now I am worry about future living in USA.Your above given process is good but I have little more confusion. Can u give me yr number I wanted to talk to u ab this issue. Or call me on my phone 662-254-8026

    please call me or gv yr number

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I have not really checked this in a long time. Here are my responses.

    1) @Anonymous: Post ads in both countries, get original ad, and then contact Passport office.
    2) @prince As long as you don't rectify this problem, you could potentially have to keep explaining the issue to each authority you deal with.
    3) @Sunil: I will have to carry my old passport as long as I have valid Visas in them. I have not returned to India after the change, but dont expect any issues

    ReplyDelete
  5. my good luck, yours is the only blog i could find where i can see some replies in the recent time. otherwise i have been writing to ppl without any reply. Vikram could you please share your thoughts on my issue ( guess you had the similar issue).

    Name in passport - only first name

    Name in visa - FNU XXX

    Name in I 94 - FNU XXX

    When we went for applying SSN they told us that i can be issued a ssn however it will be in the name of FNU XXX, so after numerous hours spent on reading others plight I am getting my name changed in the passport ( getting the surname added). My questions is
    Do I need to change my visa also or only the I 94. Somebody suggested that I have to go out of the country get a new visa and then enter with a new I94.

    Is this correct or you did something else?

    I would really appreciate your reply.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi All,

    I have surname blank in Passport.
    May NAme in Visa-FNU XXXXXX.
    I just want to know if I will go for the change of Name Process in US and What about my US Visa Stamp??
    It will be the same as FNU XXXXX.
    Please suggest me how should I get the change of the name done in my VISA?

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vikram,

    I am here in India but have got the visa stamped.

    I am just wondering if it is better to get the new passport done before travelling to US.

    But my visa has FNU as my given name.

    Just wanted to know after landing in US, I-94 would be the preferred document for getting the SSN and DL or they will refer the visa label for everything.

    Any Suggestions......

    Regards,
    Chaitra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chaithra it is better to get it updated, but then you'll have to contact the US consulate to have your Visa updated...
      It depends on how much time you have...

      Vikram

      Delete
    2. Hi Vikram,

      Apologies for the delay. I couldn't get the name corrected back in India as I didn't have time.

      I got my passport corrected here and got my learner permit from DMV recently.

      But they have asked me to get it updated in the department of homeland security before getting my actual DL.

      I am trying to make an appointment with infopass to get the name corrected with no luck.

      They referred me to get it corrected on I-94, but that is of no use to me right now. Trying to figure out a way now to get it corrected.

      Thanks again for your detailed blog.

      Regards,
      Chaitra

      Delete
  8. Since the Visa process has been now outsourced to BLS international, the links have changed. Here are the currently active links:
    Online form : https://passport.gov.in/nri/OnlineRegistration.jsp?pocode=
    Name change on passport requirements: http://passport.blsindia-usa.com/pptChangeOfName.php
    guidelines for online registration: https://passport.gov.in/nri/Guidelines.pdf
    Name change check list: http://passport.blsindia-usa.com/pptchecklist/BLSUSPassportChecklist.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The issue you faced in your passport is not "Name Change" but "Name Split" because you are just splitting given name and surname...And for splitting name we need not place an ad...just notarized sworn deed affidavit is sufficient.....and remaining process is the same....Just let me know if i am wrong...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Yes you are right. "Name change" is a different case altogether from "Name split". I am not sure why Adithya needed to place an ad in the newspaper for getting the name changed in the Indian passport.

      In Washington DC, BLS only asks for a sworn affidavidt/deed poll on a plain paper with a notary public signature and two witness signatures. They have provided the format on their website. Of course the application needs to be made as if it is a new passport altogether. But they promise that the turnaround from Indian embassy in DC is pretty quick if all the papers are in order. To repeat, the only thing needed for the name split is the sworn affidavit/deed poll. Other documents - I20, color photocopy of US visa, etc. as per regular requirements.

      Delete
    3. The deed poll needs to be attested in presence of Notary Public in case of name split. Which Notary does this as none of the state (VA) does this now ? Just to confirm, we need application form, photo, BLS appointment, marriage certificate, valid visa and proof of residence. Is that all ? Pl reply to parkar369@yahoo.com or 571438 5977.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How to take an appointment with USCIS. Is there any online form that needs to be filled in?

    ReplyDelete
  13. How FNU can be corrected on visa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vikram,
    I came to USA on F1 visa. My passport doesnt have a surname. My full name is written in the given name column. And the visa is quite opposite. My full name is printed in the surname and FNU in the given name.
    Now, I am not able to get my I-94 and Social Security Number. I applied for a driver's license too, but that was denied because of the FNU in the given name in my visa.
    Can u please guide me what do i do now?? Do i go for change of name in my passport or should i go for re-stamping of my visa??
    Please help..

    Thank you in advance.
    Amulya Lomte

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vikram need your help resolve my issue

    Given name in Passport : Mohammed Masood
    Surname : -

    USA visa :
    Given name : FNU
    Surname : Mohammed Masood

    I94 record :
    First name : Mohammed
    Last Name : Masood

    ( My first doubt surname is first name or last name ? )


    and my parents name is also spelt wrong
    Mother name :Thera begum ( Actually it is Tahera Begum )
    Father name : Mohammed Mahmood ( Actually it is Mohammad Mahmood )

    What should be the first step ?

    Need to change I94 record?
    Change my name in my Indian Passport to separate my first name and last name with my parents name mistake ?

    One call can change my life please call on 660-422-1218 or email masoodforms@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am a year late, sorry, was not really checking this blog, but for the ones that still need info:
      You need to have the parents' name updated in the passport, then follow the steps to have your name corrected in your passport and US documents

      Delete
  16. Hi All....
    I am also the FNU club...and my VISA extension is in process ...I have correct name (without FNU) on I-94 & SSN but have FNU on I-797. So, I wanted to ask...will I get any issue during VISA extension....???

    ReplyDelete
  17. After getting the new passport is it possible to get visa stamped with correct name ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Masood, I am also having same issue, have you got passport and Visa corrected?

      Thanks

      Delete
  18. Hi,
    I am also in the same boat.
    I have only 1 name in passport and so the visa, DL, SSN is all with FNU XXXX
    For me, It would be a case of addition of last name and the Consulate mentions court order from India or USA in the document checklist..

    Can anyone please throw some light on this process? Can this be done by someone on your behalf from India while you are in US.
    Reason i want to get it done through India is since my state here Nebraska says to be resident of county for atleast 1 year but that is not the case with me.

    Legal experts, Need your help :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks Vikram ,
    this blog really helped me big time. i got my passport corrected from Washington-DC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abhishek,
      What documents you had to show to get the passport corrected?

      Delete
    2. Just notarized deed and select reisssuance of passport while filing up passport application.

      Delete
  20. Hi VIkram
    You mentioned you need not get the name on the visa split if it hasn't expired in the old passport. Did you find problems while travelling abroad and re-entering US? If not what documents did you have to show?

    Thanks,
    Sachin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will have to get the Visa updated to reflect your new name, if you travel out of the country (USA).

      Delete
    2. When you went to USCIS for updating the records was it done only at their systems and was there any update on VISA stamped or any update on Passport?

      Delete
    3. Just their systems - i94 card, I was told that I will have to go to a consulate outside the US to have the Visa updated

      Delete
  21. If it is corrected only in their systems, but without any update on VISA stamped, is their any problem while traveling outside and re-entering USA ?

    How long it will take an outside the US consulate to have the Visa updated in case we requires ?

    ReplyDelete
  22. i have same problem my given name is FNU and sir name is "ABC"
    my concern is if i does not correct my name than is this going to create any problem for me to visa extension or visa transfer from one company to another?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Which newspaper did you put the ad in, was it in the bay area.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Vikram, To publish the ad in Indian newspaper, what address should i mention there in the ad? My Indian address or current US address where I am presently staying?

    ReplyDelete